September 21-23, 2016
LOCATION: The Elms Hotel & Spa
Welcome Centurions Classes of 2017 and 2018!
The 2017-2018 year officially begins with a mandatory retreat at The Elms in Excelsior Springs, MO, beginning Wednesday, September 21 and ending Friday, September 23. The Retreat will provide you with a better understanding of the Centurions leadership program and share with you how Centurions will work over the next year. During Retreat, first year Centurions will get to know your fellow Centurions, learn about Task Force topics and Committees and decide which you’d like to be involved with. Of course, there will be some time for fun, too!
Ø The Elms: 816-630-5500
Ø Kasey Anderson, Centurions Program Manager: 816-392-5489 (cell)
Directions to the Elms: 401 Regent St, Excelsior Springs, MO 64024
Ø I-35 North to Excelsior Springs, Exit 20 (about 20 minutes north of downtown)
Ø Follow the signs toward Excelsior Springs on MO-33N/US Hwy 69N
Ø Take Route 10 (W Jesse James Rd) and follow it as it winds down a large hill and through downtown Excelsior Springs.
Ø Turn Right on Elms Blvd and you’ll be able to park in either lot off Elms & Regent Street.
Check-in / Check-out
Check-in begins at 11:00 a.m. We need everyone in their seats by 11:30 a.m. so please arrive on time. The cost of the rooms are completely covered, but you will be asked for a credit card upon check-in for any incidentals (if you have a roommate, whoever checks in first will need to do this!)
We will conclude no later than noon on Friday, but again, don’t plan a 12:30 p.m. meeting back in Kansas City if you can avoid it. There will be an optional lunch (on you) in Excelsior Springs at Wabash BBQ after retreat wraps up - join us if you can!
If you’ve been assigned a roommate, we have already connected with you directly.
For general programming during the day, comfortable “smart casual” attire is recommended – nice jeans, button-downs, skirts, slacks etc. Feel free to reach out to your mentor for additional advice! A few special attire needs:
· Wednesday: Bring socks for bowling. That evening, you’ll want your lip sync costumes and casual/comfortable clothing for evening social activities to follow.
· Thursday: Bring clothes that you don’t mind getting a little dirty for our service project. T-shirts will be provided. For the VMA Awards that night we’re requesting cocktail attire. Feel free to have fun with the musician theme.
· Friday: It’s RED Friday - wear red for the Chiefs!
Notes / Reminders:
· Guidebook: Download the Guidebook app prior to retreat. Think of Guidebook as an electronic agenda. You will refer to the app at Retreat and during Task Force days. Bios and social media information for guests and speakers will be housed on this app. The redemption code for the retreat guide will be sent next week.
· GroupMe: Don't forget to sign-up for GroupMe. This is a group chat app that Centurions has used for casual chatter and banter. It’s not required by any means but we’ve had a lot of fun with it. Contact Kasey Anderson if you're having trouble setting up.